After an incident at the ER last month due to a bad allergic reaction to an antibiotic, I was left feeling bloated, blurry and a bit discombobulated. After having been prescribed a strong antibiotic to treat what was believed to be an infected stye in my left eye, I ended up with a high fever and full body eruption which felt like my skin was on fire and i could scratch myself raw.
I discovered I was highly allergic to Sulfa, the active ingredient in the antibiotic I had been taking for 5 days. It had cured my swollen eye but had put me in the Emergency Room for a full day of Epinephrine and an IV drip of the steroid Prednisone.
Thanks to my body’s resilience and holistic practices I am on the road back to feeling like myself again and building up my energy from the inside out.
Here are 10 of my favorite ways to Cleanse Body + Mind after Antibiotics + Steroids:
1. HYDRATE :: This is my everyday ritual! Start the morning out with Warm Water with fresh squeezed Lemon and a few drops of Apple Cider Vinegar ( once or twice a day for 3-5 days). Drink room temp. purified water throughout the day (add cucumber and fresh mint for taste).
2. TEA :: Drink warm tea’s including Dandelion (natural diuretic), Green Tea (antioxidant), Ginger + Turmeric (potent anti-inflammatory). I like to buy the Ginger and Turmeric Root fresh, peel and place in a pot of boiling water to make fresh tea, add honey and then grate the ginger to add to each cup.
3. EAT :: Organic Veggies including leafy Green Vegetables, Beets and Carrots (steamed is best since the body digests easily ). Avocado, Fish Oils, Ghee and Blueberries help with inflammation, immunity and antioxidants.
4. SUPPLEMENT :: Probiotics help heal the gut and maintain healthy intestinal flora especially after antibiotics. Bio K is one of my favorites.
5. YOGA :: Start with a slow flow to get the heart rate going, move energy, increase circulation and replenish by focusing on postures that lubricate joints including hip + arm circles, gentle twists, Cat/ Cow, sun salutations, and restorative postures. Here is one of my online DETOX SEQUENCES which will help cleanse and detoxify your body.
6. MEDITATION + SLEEP :: Your sitting practice is a game changer! Meditation activates the parasympathetic nervous system which is in charge of the relaxation responses in the body and mind. When we are stressed, anxious or tired we live in the fight or flight mode of survival and cannot heal properly or recover. Our meditation practice gives our whole body a chance to reset and reboot and heal more efficiently. Proper Sleep is the second component to a successful recovery, helping to reduce swelling and reboot all systems. This one is always a challenge for me because I like to get a lot of work done in the evenings once my kids are asleep. Aim for 7-8 hours a night.
7. PRANAYAMA :: Pranayama is the extension of your life force expressed through the breath. When we breathe mindfully we heal and replenish our whole body oxygenating our brain and our organs. One of my favorite techniques for cleansing and energizing is Kapalabhati Breath aka Breath of Fire. This technique which consists of a stream of quick repeated exhales helps to cleanse the lungs improving circulation to purifying the blood, organs and entire body. (Kapalabhati is Not recommended during Pregnancy).
8. INFRARED SAUNA :: Dry brush your skin and step in to sweat out those toxins from the inside out … this is a favorite! Try a cold plunge after if you are near a shower or bath. (Not recommended during pregnancy).
9. MASSAGE :: Lymphatic massage helps the body release waste and reduce swelling.
10. ACUPUNCTURE :: I am a huge believer in the healing powers of Chinese Medicine. Good friend and Acupuncturist/Herbalist Tracy Albrecht suggests flash cupping on the upper back and all the way around the lower border of the ribcage to invigorate the blood and stimulate the liver. Cupping = Heaven!! Find Tracy at LA HERBS & ACUPUNCTURE