Nadi Shodhana also known as Alternate Nostril Breath or Channel Purifying Breath, is one my favorite Pranayama practices which helps to ground + balance out my nervous system, while opening up my nasal passageways when I feel stuffy or cloudy + allows for more energy and oxygen to flow through my whole body. I like to think of it as Subtle yet Powerful Equilibrium.
Whether you are feeling fatigued and scattered, overloaded with projects or dealing with the “Mother Juggle” (which we are all too familiar with) or All of the Above! This is an excellent RESET at any point of your day.
I love sharing this form of pranayama with my pregnant students as well (without long breath retention in between) because it is an excellent way to reduce anxiety, support the respiratory system and create a nice flow of prana (life force) to mama and baby!
Learn More about Prenatal Yoga + Pranayama in our UMA TEACHER TRAINING which starts on March 31st!
Breathe Deep + Enjoy xxP
- Find a comfortable place to sit with a tall spine.
- Take a few slow long clearing breaths.
- Block the right nostril with your thumb and inhale slowly and fully through the left nostril.
- Block the left nostril with the ring finger or index and slowly and fully exhale through the right nostril.
- Keep the left nostril blocked while inhaling slowly and fully through the right nostril.
- Block the right nostril slowly and fully exhale through the left. (this is one cycle)
- Repeat steps 3-6 working up to 5 - 8 cycles.
- Once having completed all cycles release your hand down onto your lap and breathe smoothly and quietly with eyes closed for meditation.
- Observe the subtle shifts in energy, breathing capacity, alertness and thoughts.
If you are PREGNANT do not retain breath in between cycles. If you are not PREGNANT you may practice a five count breath retention in between each inhale and exhale.
Lowers Heart Rate and Reduces Stress
Said to purify and balance the Nadis (energy channels)
Creates balance between the left and right brain
Assists in the removal of toxins
Clears and Rejuvenates the Mind
*Featured Mama and Teacher Maria Villella